There are at least six artists with this name:
1. A Swedish indie group
2. A solo project of musician Jacob Janoram
3. An English pop group
4. A South African rapper
5. A Dutch musician
6. K-pop girl group
1. Swedish group jj emerged in 2009 on the Gothenburg-based record label Sincerely Yours with a particularly gratifying take on the musical preoccupations common to much of the label’s roster, which includes its founders, The Tough Alliance. jj are distributed in North America by Secretly Canadian. The band consists of Joakim Benon and Elin Kastlander.
jj’s take on neo-Balearic indie pop filters Air France’s tropical haze, The Tough Alliance’s penchant for slyly irreverent appropriation, and The Honeydrips’ fragile twee pop melodicism into a beguilingly lush, gently electronic style, reminiscent of prime Saint Etienne with a smoother, beachier sheen. jj also share their label mates’ propensity for mystery, favoring an artfully enigmatic presentation. Vocalist Elin Kastlander provides a distinguishing sonic hallmark in the form of her warm, lusciously smooth alto.
jj released their debut single jj n° 1 in early 2009. A couple of months later they released their debut album jj n° 2. Their third album, jj n° 3, was released on March 9, 2010.
In late 2010, jj released a mixtape called Kills. The first single from Kills, “Let Them,” sampled Akon’s “Right Now (Na Na Na).” The single also featured a B-side entitled “I’m The One/Money On My Mind” that samples “Intro” by The xx.
Aside from their official releases, jj has also done several covers and new takes on contemporary songs. For example, they’ve recorded covers of Akon’s “Troublemaker,” Jeremih’s “Birthday Sex,” and the “Theme Song” for the classic 70s American tv series Welcome Back, Kotter. All of these tracks were released for free on the internet.
2. With over 30,000 plays in Europe and 5000 plays in The States JJ ‘s Return To Regalia is blowing out The world !JJ formerly Jacob Janoram of The Band Janoram In Motion has embarked on an unstoppable conquest of Music Ravewaves.”This is creativity in its pristine state”,wrote Amber Wilson.JJ also has joined forces with Britains “Keyboard Wizard “,Scott Hill on the Astranova Label.The CD is called Ancient Future.Both CD’s are available on ITunes.
“The textures of sounds swirl around you until your feet start moving underneath you.The room spins or is it the music?”JJ is and will be screamed through the streets,the clubs.your back yard,your IPod
3. JJ is the name of a 90s pop group from Salford, England, fronted by the eponymous Jan Johnston.
4. JJ aka Alcapone-JJ is a dancehall mc from Gugulethu, Cape Town. Having been introduced to African Dope Studio boss DJ Dope by fellow Gugulethu crew Chronic Clan, he was inducted into the African Dope Soundsystem project, where he shone. Following tours by the African Dope Soundsystem posse to Germany in 2005 and 2006, JJ secured a record deal in Berlin and relocated there. For up to date info including news of his album release, see JJ’s Myspace page.
5. There is also a Dutch artist named JJ. He appears on the Water, Wind & Sails compilation on Dutch label WM Recordings.
6. JJ is one of the few solo singers that has been acknowledged by this prestigious producer, so many are anticipating how she’ll fare against the other girl groups she’ll be competing against.